Las Vegas, August 2016 – Part 2

This is the second and final part of my trip report from our August 2016 trip to Vegas. You can read part 1 here.

Day 4:

Woke up at a more normal time this day, and had breakfast at Flamingo’s Paradise Garden buffet.

We still had the car, so we decided to take a little field trip out to Valley of Fire. The drive out there was nice and not too long. It was an amazing place with really cool nature.

2016-08-28 06.01.20
A little bit of Valley of Fire
Valley of Fire “Beehives”

After a while we decided to go back and get some lunch. We didn’t drive the same way that we got there, but the other way, via Lake Mead. It was so much longer. When we were halfway back, I had trouble staying awake and could really need some coffee. There was no coffee available nearby. There was nothing. Just desert landcape for miles and miles.

2016-08-27 10.44.32
On the road

We did eventually get back, and had lunch at Harrah’s Flavors buffet. Not the best choice…
After lunch we had some more shopping to do.  I wanted to browse some stores at one of the outlet malls, while hubby went on a hunt for a birthday gift for me, as my birthday took place two days before the trip. I bought nothing, but I did end up choosing my own gift – two Seattle Seahawks t-shirts. He also surprised me with a Russell Wilson bobblehead that he found while I was trying on the t-shirts. We then moved on to The Boulevard, where I did some shopping while hubby was waiting patiently outside playing Pokémon Go.

It was getting a bit late, so we started thinking about dinner. We still had some time left on our buffet passes. However, neither of us could stand the thought of another buffet, so we just went for burgers at Jack in the Box instead. We spent the rest of the evening in the Flamingo casino.

Day 5:

Slow day for a change, and it felt good. Went to target to pick up a few things, and then had brunch at IHOP. After this we drove around for a while, just looking. We also spent some time in our room just watching TV and relaxing.

In the afternoon, we went back to the Rio, and had dinner at this Indian restaurant they have there, before seeing Rock of Ages. Great show with an all out awesome soundtrack. So much fun!

After the show, we stayed in the casino for a little while, before going back to Flamingo and hanging out in the casino there.

Day 6:

We didn’t have the car anymore, and we didn’t have much of a plan for the day. In other words, it was a great time to just take a walk. Also, I wanted to shop some more. After a quick breakfast in the Flamingo food court, we decided to go to Fashion Show mall. As it was a very hot day, we took our time and walked mostly indoors. We made short stops at The Linq, Harrah’s and Casino Royale, before getting to Venetian/Palazzo.  We stayed there for a while, browsing some stores in the Grand Canal Shoppes, and just looking at all the beauty.

When we were done there, we moved right on to Fashion Show. Shopped a little bit, had some iced coffee and did our best to avoid the fancy hair straightener sales people.

By the time we were done, it was time to think about dinner again. We went back to our room to put away the things we bought and figure out where to go. We ultimately decided to go to Margaritaville, as we wanted to try their “Volcano Nachos”. It was really good, not expensive, and it was huge. The two of us couldn’t even finish half of it, so one order is probably enough to feed 3-5 fairly hungry people.

2016-08-29 17.58.08
Margaritaville Volcano Nachos – this photo doesn’t do justice to the size of it.

When we were done eating, we went back up to our room to just relax a little bit. Eventually we went to Harrah’s, as we saw that they had a daily slot tournament. We had to earn a certain amount of points there to enter, so we thought we’d go for it so that we could enter the next day. We stayed there until our gambling budget for the day was spent, and then just went to sleep.

Day 7:

Because it was the last full day, we spent some time packing before going out. After breakfast at the food court, we went over to Harrah’s for the slot tournament. We got registered, hubby was in the round before me. What we had to do was push the spin button as rapidly as possible for three minutes, and hope for a good score. Arms and hands were tired afterwards, that’s for sure. Neither of us did good enough to actually win something, but at least we got to try something new.

Decided to have lunch at Toby Keith’s I love this bar and grill, and we were glad we did, because they had great food. After lunch, we stopped for some ice cream at Ice Pan, a place where we could watch the ice cream being made. It was fun to watch, and it tasted really good. The lady that worked there said it was their last day there, as their lease expired. I think they moved to California.

When the ice cream was gone, we went to The Linq Promenade and just hang out there for a while. We saw that the price for the High Roller observation wheel wasn’t too bad at that time of day, so we decided to go for it. The view was amazing, and we got an entire cabin all to ourselves.

2016-08-30 13.54.43
View from the top (well, almost) of the High Roller
The High Roller from the ground

When we came back down we figured we should go pack some more. It takes a long time…
After squeezing as much stuff as possible into our suitcases and just relaxing for a little bit, we got ready to go out again. Got in a taxi and headed to New York New York. We just took a quick look at the casino, before going across the street to have dinner at Outback. After some tasty steaks, we went next door to the Coca-Cola store to do the “Around the World” tasting – you get samples of 16 Coca-Cola products from around the world. Some of them taste OK. Others, not so much.  Most of them are pretty much just too sweet, though.

When all the samples were gone, we went back to NYNY to play a little bit. We actually had a pretty decent run there, and left with some winnings. Not much, but a little. We did have an early plane the next morning, so we didn’t stay very late. Just went to our room, packed up what was remaining, and went to sleep.

The next morning, we were up at about 4:30, and pretty much headed straight to the airport. When we got there, we realized that it was a perfect spot for a great view of The Strip. Unfortunately, taking a good photo of it with a phone camera turned out to be extremely difficult… but you probably get the idea.

2016-08-31 05.45.50
View of the Las Vegas Strip from the airport

And so we left, tired but satisfied. We have agreed that it’s going to be a long while until the next time, as we want to prioritize new destinations. Still, I can’t wait until the next time.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s